Friday, April 1, 2016

Culture Swap: What would You Do?


Dear Casie and Arin
     We just recently watched the What Would You Do? and Wife Swap. We watched the same videos as you guys did so I will just tell you what I think of this television shows and how it portrays Americans.
    I will start out with What Would You Do? I would like to say that when we see someone in need we would stop and help, but I honestly do not think most Americans would stop to help.  We are raised to believe in minding our own business but then make exceptions when we see someone in need.  The problem with this is that a lot of Americans are racist.  I am not saying all Americans just some.  You can see this with this show when there is a Muslim woman with a flat tire.  When she did not have her head covering on more people helped her out but when she wore something that showed her religion, people started to ignore her.  I mostly blame this on the fact that 9/11 was quiet recent and America still has issues with that part of the world.  I have to admit that I find myself sometimes being a little racist.  I think most of that is coming from the fact that I was raised in a place where most of the populate is white and few are black or other races.  When I find myself being even slightly racist, I tend to get mad at myself.  Racist is something that our parents might be but my generation, I hope, has grown out of that.  It is sometimes hard because we were raised around racist people and we know it is wrong.
     Moving onto Wife Swap.  I just need to say that I hate this show.  I remember it being on when I was a child and I always found it odd that there was no Husband Swap.  I am big on equality between women and men but this show just frustrates me.  I do not see the show as an innocent way to show the different types of Americans but a way of showing that women are objects are can be traded out.  Now, that might seem a little harsh but I hate the thought of it.
   Well, that got a little more deep than I thought it would, I hope you enjoy the shows and please tell me what you think of them.  And don't worry about having different opinions than me, I accept that people have different beliefs and I will not force you to believe what I believe.
Your Friend,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment