Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Writers As Readers


When I read, I like to be comfy in my bed with all my pillows behind my back so the metal bar does not dig into my back.  I love to light a candle and have my radio on really quietly so there is not any awkward silence. I like to have something to munch on, like popcorn, and if I have food then I have to have water.  In my bedroom there is a florescent light which hurts my head so I have to have the lamp on that is by the head of my bed.  When it is not cold or dark outside then I like to go outside and sit on our bench and read in the shade.

I love horror, and fantasy books. I like these books because they are not something that people think about on daily.  Some of the stories like The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd are really out there but the way that she writes makes the stories believable.  I often have an easier time getting lost in these worlds, I think it is because they are completely different from normal life and it is just something more interesting than my boring life.  I am wanting to start reading Stephen King sometime, first I have to read the 20 books at home I have been avoiding.  But I will probably start out with Carrie, mostly because I have seen the movie and listened to the soundtrack, did you know there is a Broadway version of Carrie, it is not that bad. One genre that I do not like reading is romance.  Most of the time I find the story predictable and I think of other things when I am trying to read the book.  I will admit that some of the stories are cute but I never feel like there is good character development or a good plot.  That is not the case with all romance books.  I find that this happens with John Green.  I feel like his stories are over hyped and honestly not that good.  The way he writes is amazing but I never feel a connection with the characters and I usually predict the ending halfway through the book, so the book feels like a waste of time.  There is one romance writer that I do like and her name is April Lindner.  She has three books out right now and I like them because each book flows into the next even though they are not a series.  For example, in one book where there is a rock star named Nico and he is brought up in her other books when the characters listen to the radio.  This makes me feel like there is more of a plot and more character development.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said about the books having links to one another without being a series...makes you feel like you are in on some kind of secret or inside joke to get the subtle references. Your ideal reading scenario is very similar to mine...

    ReplyDelete